Bringing divisions into harmony.
Teradyne designs and manufactures Automatic Test Equipment for some of the world’s leading electronics companies. The corporate culture is entrepreneurial, with each division operating relatively autonomously. While this entrepreneurial spirit has been beneficial in driving innovation and developing best-of-breed products, it has also fragmented the corporate brand, particularly since each division did its own marketing with little direction from corporate marketing.
- Teradyne needed to develop a brand and a set of guidelines that would provide consistency throughout the company while allowing each division to retain some elements of its individual identity.
- Any new design system would have to be approved by all of the divisions, some of which had significant inventories of existing marketing collateral.
- Build a system based on the bold use of the corporate color while providing enough flexibility for each division to tailor the design to its own sub-brand.
- Develop a set of guidelines for all divisions to follow which would provide consistency and flexibility.
The story behind the work
Sample of materials from each Teradyne division.
- Divisions were branding their own division as the primary brand, sometimes to the exclusion of the Teradyne brand.
- The Teradyne name had significant brand recognition and positive impressions within the industry.
- The corporate brand was being applied inconsistently.
- Divisions were resistant to the implementation of a monolithic corporate brand.
I’ve worked with Terdayne for a long time. Each division had a great deal of independence, especially when it came to marketing. And the lack of a strong corporate marketing department only enhanced the sense of autonomy.
The options were to develop a strict set of guidelines and force all the divisions to adhere to it, or develop a flexible system — one which would have a coherent corporate brand, yet allow each division to maintain some of their existing sub-brand. I knew that in order for the new brand to be adhered to within the Teradyne culture, we had to provide a flexible solution.